BEIJING — China reported 67 new cases of coronavirus infection and six new deaths in the past day.
No new cases were recorded in the original epicenter of the outbreak in Hubei province, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
Hubei on Wednesday lifted strict lockdown measures that have prevented residents from leaving the province for more than two months.
Outside of the provincial capital Wuhan, residents with a clean bill of health are now permitted to travel throughout the country. Wuhan will remain under lockdown until April 8.
All of the cases reported on Thursday were “imported” from abroad, according to health authorities.
Also on Thursday, China said it will severely limit both outbound and inbound international flights in an effort to curb “imported” cases.
Each Chinese airline will be able to operate only one route to any foreign country per week, the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) said.
Similarly, each foreign airline can operate only one route to China, only once a week, the administration said. Each flight should not exceed 75 per cent of passenger capacity. The new measures will go into effect on Sunday.
Since it began spreading in December last year, the COVID-19 respiratory illness caused by the virus has killed 3,287 people across mainland China and infected a total of 81,285, of whom 74,051 have recovered, authorities said.
©2020 Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH (Hamburg, Germany)
Visit Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH (Hamburg, Germany) at www.dpa.de/English.82.0.html
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
PHOTO (for help with images, contact 312-222-4194):