Union-Bulletin Court Report

    A woman was arrested this afternoon after a warrant was issued and first-degree murder charges were filed Friday in the August 2017 shooting death of her fiance.

    Shyla A. Osborne, 31, is charged with the alleged killing of Daniel E. Cason, 31, on Aug. 29, 2017, in the couple’s home in the 500 block of East Cherry Street, according to Walla Walla County Prosecuting Attorney James L. Nagle.

    Cason died after receiving three gunshots to the head from a pistol, according to court documents.

    Charges were not filed until now because Nagle’s office was waiting for results from the crime lab, the prosecuting attorney said today.

    “We were still investigating a lot of leads... The blood had to go to the state crime lab,” Nagle said.

    Besides blood, bullets and other crime scene samples had to be tested, Nagle added. Osborne’s initial explanation of how the incident occurred also had to be checked, he said.

    The case was originally investigated as a domestic-violence issue, as Osborne claimed she was acting in self defense. In 2015, she took out a temporary protection order against Cason, according to court documents.

    In the order, she stated she was concerned about Cason’s temper and that he posed a danger to her young son. Among other claims, she stated Cason shoved her to the ground once when she was pregnant with another child.

    According to court documents, Osborne and Cason argued on August 28, 2017, about financial issues and other things, which escalated into a physical confrontation and ended with the fatal shooting the next day, Detective Sgt. Matt Wood said last fall.

    Documents also indicate cellular device data led investigators to believe Cason and Osborne’s argument had ended the night before and the two had separated.

    While Cason was with a friend, Osborne retrieved a Ruger LC9 pistol from atop the fridge, court documents said. She placed the weapon in her bra and kept it on her that night, documents said. Osborne said in statements that no further altercations took place that evening.

    The next day, Osborne messaged and telephoned various people to ask about self defense and if they “would be mad if she did something.” Those people advised her to contact local law enforcement, according to court documents. She also conducted web searches on her phone for Washington State self-defense laws, court documents said.

    That afternoon, Osborne and Cason  apparently got into an argument, leading to a struggle over the gun, court documents said. After a misfire, Osborne managed to clear the malfunction and free herself from Cason and shoot him three times behind the right ear, according to documents.

Emily Thornton covers courts and emergency services, as well as other various stories. She has been in the newspaper industry off and on since roughly 1999 and lived primarily on the West Coast, but also Florida and Europe.

Recommended for you