A new grant program from the Donald & Virginia Sherwood Trust will provide about $100,000 to its inaugural recipients.
Eight local organizations have been chosen to receive “Impact Grant” awards in amounts that range from $5,000 up to a maximum of $20,000, the Sherwood Trust announced this morning.
The grant program was created as a vehicle to provide smaller dollars into projects with potential to make a big difference toward advancing community initiatives and the Sherwood Trust’s vision of a thriving community that provides all of its residents a sense of belonging, the announcement detailed.
The Sherwood Trust board will announce nearly $1 million in its “Core Grant” awards by early June.
This year’s Impact Grant recipients and their awards are:
- Blue Mountain Arts Alliance: $8,000 for a feasibility study for a co-located facility for local arts organizations
- Boy Scouts of America Blue Mountain Council: $10,000 in support of Latino Club activities in the Walla Walla Valley
- Friends of Children of Walla Walla: $7,000 in support of the Walla Walla Latino Alliance
- Milton-Freewater Area Historical Society: $6,400 for strategic planning and executive coaching
- Plus Delta After School Studios: $20,000 for renovation of the building that will house the new Dayton Boys & Girls Club
- Valley Residential Services: $20,000 for software system upgrades
- Walla Walla County Department of Community Health: $20,000 toward media-engagement activities for the Suicide Prevention Working Group
- Walla Walla Symphony: $8,000 for community engagement around the free Villalobos Brothers concert coming in October
Twenty-eight organizations applied for Impact Grants from the private nonprofit Sherwood Trust, created in 1991. Beneficiaries went through what was described as a “streamlined review process.” The grants are framed as investments in local people to solve local problems and are seen as transformative to the organization or community.
To be competitive, proposals typically land in at least one of four categories: resilient organizations; diversity, equity and inclusion; community collaboration; and civic engagement.
Vicki Hillhouse can be reached at email@example.com or 526-8321.